Workbench TWO – Day 6

The objective for Day 6 is to get the third top section glued up and start the milling and building process for the legs.

The second section came out of the clamps in fine shape.  I decided to cut off the excess length with my $20 handsaw.  The saw and my technique have a long way to go.  But it got done with NO power tools.

I got section three ready and got it glued up.   I am REALLY liking the short nap roller and simple glue bottle.   I got very close to exactly ( my opinion ) the right amount of glue.   I like the way I can “work in” the glue to the wood with the roller.



Next came the legs.   The legs are 5 1/8″ x 3 1/2″ by about 34″.   My 8/4 stock mills out to about 1 1/2″ to 1 3/4″.  So the challenge is to get the 3 1/2″.  It may take 3 pieces to build up the legs since two 1 1/2″ pieces will NOT be 3 1/2″.   DUH !   I had a 6 cut offs from the top boards, so I decide to 4 square them to 2 3/8″ wide and glue them for the 5 1/8 width.    This is confusing… Just say the legs take a LOT of wood !   I will show a much better picture tomorrow.


The last thing is my new glue up “system”.   This is not my idea.  I saw this on a YouTube video by a cutting board guy.  He does lots of glue ups and this is his system.


Bench Build Blog Index


Please enjoy the images below with additional comments on each.