Workbench Two – Day 3

Day 3 was exciting.  The first slab of 4 was ready to come out of the clamps.  The first process was to get the slab through the jointer and planer to get 4 sides square.

The comments on the pictures really tell the story.

The glue, while very different from my standard Titebond II or III really did not present any problems.  I scraped off any excess that would have made the slab off on the jointer.

The big problem is just the mass of the slab.   It is heavy and 8 ft long.   Pushing this over the jointer requires the in-feed and out-feed rollers stands to be exactly the correct height and solid.  Both are a challenge.   I did became familiar with the “feel” of the process.  Not that it became any easier, I just was able to control the material better.  I had to push hard downward to keep the slab in contact with the jointer bed.  This was workout.   When I moved to the second side in the jointer, to create a square to the first side this became more difficult.   A LOT of pressure had to be continually applied to keep the first flat side in contact with the rip fence on the jointer.  I ended up with one side almost exactly square.  The other side not as good.  It will require some hand plane work to tune it exactly.

After milling the section ( slab ) finished at 6 9/16″ x 3 3/4″   So will take 4 sections plus one more piece to get close to the 28″ width I want.  As for the thickness,  I started with 3 7/8″ first cut from the 8″ stock.  So I am sure I will end  up with my 3 1/2″ target top thickness.

Getting that accomplished, I stopped and really cleaned the shop up.

I had some more time so I prepared for Day 4.   I pulled all of the stock from the pile to mill 13 more top pieces.  The pictures tell the story here.

So a BIG day of stock milling is in front of me.  This may possibly be two days !!

I am starting to really wonder how I will handle the top once is it completely assembled.

Bench Build Blog Index


Enjoy the story from the pictures below