The objective for today was to finish the mortises in the leg. There are 12 to do.
I started with the large 1″ wide drilled out holes. This was a very big learning process for me. I quickly learned that a lot of force could and should be used. The chisels where all very sharp and performing well. However, when cutting across end grain for a 2″ depth, force is required. I quickly put on my now trusty yellow rubber line gloves. This allow me to grip and control the chisel, both on the handle and the blade. I got better and better, developing technique as I progressed. The last hole I did a quick video, so you can see the process. I stopped the video when my back side blocked all the real work.
So I thought I was ready to sizing and cutting the end rails. Well, remember, measure twice, cut once ! I started setting up the legs and measuring. On both ends !! The width of the bench is about 1/16 larger on one end. STOP and think about this !!
I tried to plane the faces… It was not and EPIC fail, but really did not produce the results I needed.
That started a whole chain of events. Now from a great comment I got on Woodnet.net ( my favorite forum ) I need to 4 square the entire workbench top. This means I have to find a way to lift and position the top on the floor or some supports.
NOTE: Day 17 will be in about a week. Spending time with the grand kids and Easter at church with my wife. I will have a lifting solution by then.
Please enjoy the full set of day 16 pictures with detailed comments: