Today we are bringing the workbench top and the base together. It is a BIG day in this build.
The bench base and top have been mated during the construction process, but upside down. I did actually attach the base to insure the precision lineup of all of the vise parts both mechanical and milled stock.
My plan to give Workbench ONE away to a friend. I do not have room in my shop for two workbenches. The first step was to clean out the old workbench. So I now have stuff sitting around the shop in all the wrong places.
The new base has received 3 coats of Endur-Var sating poly. It is a nice utility finish that brings out the character of the maple. Next I assembled the new base behind the old bench. This went together very easy. The excellent barrel nuts and bolts came together perfectly. I got all four started then did the final tightening. The base is solid as a rock.
Then the two were married. Of course it takes a 1 ton chain hoist from Harbor Freight to make this happen. But then that chain hoist was part of the build.
So take a look at this video. There were a few problems that a hammer would not solve, but in the end, all worked as it should and the top and base married perfectly. I was so Happy. I even did a “Happy Dance” at the end. ( Sorry about the sound. I had my air filter blower running, so the sound is terrible. )
The next posting will be completing the Twin Vise install and the shelf. It will take a few days to get the finish complete on the shelf boards.
Please enjoy the full set of day 31 pictures with detailed comments: